Wednesday, April 27, 2011

E-Day in Kolkata

Yesterday was Election Day in Kolkata. And I just can't ignore the difference between yesterday and the 23rd which was election day in Bolpur. In fact, the day before I left Kolkata for Bolpur, I did not know it was election day there. I called Sunil, my neighbour to inform him that I was coming and he told me that he might be out to cast his   vote. That's when I realized that I would be arriving there on a bad day.

Everyone in Kolkata told me that there might be violence in the streets, that I  would not find transport to get home, no food in the restaurants, etc. etc. In fact, Mitali gave me a packet of Maggi Noodles so that I wouldn't have  to stay hungry. On the train some people asked me if I was going there to cast my vote and I told them that I lived there when I lived there! I was returning after being away for over two months.

When I got off the train all seemed normal. The rickshaw pullers were there. I found a rickshaw quite easily and when I was riding it to Mission Compound, where I live, I found that all the shops were open and it was business as usual. The restaurants were open too and there no one seemed worried about violence or anything of that sort. Sunil came to meet me and said he was going to cast his vote and I asked him if it was safe and he simply laughed.

Then I came to Kolkata. And everyone seemed terrified about E-Day. And yesterday when the city went to the polls, the streets were deserted. The shops were closed and even the dogs were quiet! What a contrast! Amazing... really amazing.

Anyway, now that the elections are over,  life has  returned to normal. Thank God. I know that if I walk down to the corner store, I will be able to pick up a packet of cigarettes, that I could not do yesterday. Is this democracy?

No comments:

Post a Comment