Sunday, October 3, 2010

ALWAYS a Proud Indian

I must admit that I was quite impressed by the Opening Ceremony of the CWG. I'm so glad they pulled it off without any mishap. I just couldn't shake off the feeling of apprehension during the few moments when I could watch the ceremony of TV. Then the lights went out!

Yes, there was a major power outage and electricity was restored only when the ceremony was almost over. So I didn't get to see most of it. It was frustrating. But then I consoled myself saying that I at least got to see something. Most Indians living in rural India, perhaps don't have any electricity at all and owning a TV is no less than a dream. So in reality, while Delhi and urban India celebrated the CWG opening ceremony, Most parts of India was dark. Nothing unusual. This is how it is most of the time. While India celebrated, most of Bharat went to bed early and probably on an empty stomach. I was one of the fortunate few who had a hearty meal and slept under a fan. Like the rest of India, I did not spare a thought for all those migrant labourers who died during construction work. I did not spare a thought for those who survived the slavery of labour contractors and who probably never got to see the ceremony at all.

But then these are those "stupid Biharis" who mess up the beautiful cities that we live in. The defecate all over the place and hang around just about anywhere. The government of the day pats itself on the back saying that it has provided employment to so many people! As if the government has done its citizens a big favour! But why didn't the authorities ensure that the labour contractors adhered to labour laws and provided the migrant workers with accommodation and basic facilities? We all know that the "call of nature" does not respect location! If, because you have been living in unhygienic conditions and eating "iffy" food, then you "let go" wherever you are -- even if it is in the middle of a beautiful stadium or an apartment block you are helping to build. But it is so much simpler to point at others for all that goes wrong and absolve oneself of responsibility.

But all said and done, I'm glad the CWG is taking place in Delhi. Unfortunately, a lot that is wrong with this country is being surreptitiously swept under the carpet in the euphoria. Suddenly everyone is feeling proud to be an Indian. As if they have just realised that they are one! Yesterday, someone told me to relax and enjoy the ceremony. Feel proud to be an Indian! Hey man, I feel pround to be an India ALL THE TIME! And not only when we win a cricket match or host a sports event. I love this country and am proud of it despite everything and am proud to be an Indian at all times. But that does not mean I am blind! It's because I care that I feel so strongly about what is not right. I want to set it right. I want to be counted as one who loves his country enough to try and set things right. And no one can deny that in my small way, I have tried and am still trying. If only every Indian did just a little bit for his country instead of "waking up" only when we win a match and go to sleep when it comes to casting their votes, this country would be Valhalla!

Anyway, the games are on. I'll try and watch them on TV if the national grid does not syphon off all the electricity and send it to Delhi. But like Arindam Choudhury, I too wonder if the poor of this country should be financing an event that highlights how great the British Empire was? We have the Olympics, the Asiad to prove our prowess (or the lack of it) as a sporting nation. Must we spend money to remind ourselves that we were once slaves? Well, if Britain wishes to bask in past glory, let them organize it and fund it in all the countries they had colonized! If India bids for the Olympics, when it hosts the Asiad, I feel proud. When it hosts the CWG, I feel proud that we can get together resources and pull it off. But I can't help feeling unhappy that we are reminding ourselves of our colonial past. A past steeped in slavery and chains. And that too a day after we celebrate the birthday of a man who freed us from our shackles. What Gandhiji did was to give us freedom but he could break the shackles in our minds.

I've got my fingers crossed. I pray the games go off well. Not because it makes me feel proud to be an Indian. I was born with that pride. I will die with it. I want the games to pass off without mishap because of the blood, sweat and tears of all those thousands of forgotten heroes who made the CWG possible despite the bungling and corruption of those who had the "power". I do hope that our leaders will now feel more confident that they can "do things" if they want. That they can do things very well, if they are less corrupt. I can only pray that they will use the same skills and resources to build world class roads, schools, provide electricity to the hinterland too! Let's showcase ALL OF INDIA and not just the Capital and the cities that we have -- most of which have been established by the British. The captial of this country is mostly referred to as Lutyen's Delhi. Let's prove that Delhi is Bharat ki Jaan

1 comment: